Fire Safety During the Winter
Fire safety is especially important in the winter. Winters in the metro Detroit area can be bitterly cold causing broken pipes, ice dams and house fires. The National Fire Protection Agency, a trade group dedicated to setting and promoting fire safety standards, offers some important tips to remain safe during the winter months:
- Test smoke alarms every month.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms in your home.
- Plan two ways out of your home.
- Keep driveways and front walk cleared for your and first responders' safety.
- Be aware of weather. Listen to TV or radio for updates and changes.
- Have flashlights on hand if power goes out. Never use candles.
- Keep generators outdoors and away from windows or doors. Never run a generator in the garage even if the overhead door is open.
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet from anything that can burn.
- Turn off portable heaters when you leave room or go to sleep.
Your neighbors at SERVPRO of Dearborn/Dearborn Heights SE hope these simple tips with help you stay safe and warm all winter long.
About SERVPRO of Dearborn / Dearborn Heights SE
SERVPRO® of Dearborn / Dearborn Heights SE provides 24-hour disaster mitigation and cleanup service to Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Melvindale and the greater Metro Detroit area. We specialize in the restoration of homes and businesses suffering losses from fire, water, soot, smoke, biohazard and storm damage. Our locally owned and operated 24/7 response team is just a phone call away. 313-359-3457