Steps to Reduce Water Damage
Whether it’s a leaky faucet, backed up drain or flooded basement, water can cause all sorts of damage to your residential property. The damage and problems can be immediate ruining your furniture and mementos. The damage may also be long term causing mold growth or even structural damage and health issues.
Here are the first steps to take when dealing with rogue water on your property.
- Stop the flow of water! If the water is coming from a broken pipe, appliance or water heater, shut off the main water line to your home.
- Turn off the power! If your home is flooded shut off the electricity and gas at the main source. This is only needed in the event of flooding. Leaks and standing puddles do not require this step.
- Do not handle electrical appliances! Unless you are properly insulated do not touch any electrical appliances. If you must stand in water to turn off the electricity, please consult a licensed electrician.
- Assess and document the damage! Before starting to cleanup document the damage with photographs. Use a ruler to show the depth of the water in photographs or video. This is important for any insurance claims.
- Rescue valuable items! If it is safe to enter the damaged area, find and remove important items and documents like identity and insurance papers, jewelry, and cash.
- Get rid of standing water! The longer water sits, the more damage it does. If the floor drains are not blocked, the waters of a flooded basement will likely recede via the drains. However, it is possible you will need SERVPRO’s professional pumping equipment to get the water out.
Keep in mind any water that has come up through the drains is dirty. Even if appears clear it contains potentially dangerous microbes and pathogens. Do not let children, pets, elderly or those with health issues into the water. Healthy adults who must enter the water should wear proper protective gear including rubber boots, gloves, and a mask or respirator.
About SERVPRO of Dearborn / Dearborn Heights SE
SERVPRO® of Dearborn / Dearborn Heights SE provides 24-hour disaster mitigation and cleanup service to Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Melvindale and the greater Metro Detroit area. We specialize in the restoration of homes and businesses suffering losses from fire, water, soot, smoke, biohazard and storm damage. Our locally owned and operated 24/7 response team is just a phone call away. 313-359-3457