Fire Prevention Week October 8-14
Sunday, October 8, marks the start of the 2017 Fire Prevention Week. This year's National Fire Protection Association theme is "Every Second Counts:Plan 2 Ways Out!"
NFPA suggests families plan two ways to exit every room in your house, especially kids' bedrooms. They suggest:
- Draw a map of your home marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
Click HERE for a link to the NFPA website for more valuable safety information.