Flooded Basements in Dearborn Heights
Bounded by the Rouge and Ecorse Rivers, Dearborn Heights sees a lot of flooding. Many homes in the area experience annual flooding. The professionals at SERVPRO of Dearborn and Dearborn Heights SE have years of training and a lot of experience handling flooded basements – sometimes even our own basements!
Preventing Basement Flooding
There are some easy steps you can take to help safeguard your basement against flooding damage.
- Keep your gutters and downspouts clean and flowing away from your foundation.
- Check for pooling water in your yard. If water runs toward the foundation, consider re-grading your yard.
- Make sure windows are protected with window well covers.
- Install an automatic sump pump.
- Check to see if flood insurance is available for purchase.
What to do when your basement floods?
Calling the professionals of SERVPRO of Dearborn & Dearborn Heights SE for help with a flooded basement is always a good idea. Wet carpet and furniture are very difficult to remove. Mildew begins grow in hours. The smell of unsanitary water can permeate the entire home. Before we are arrive there are a few steps you can take to help the drying process:
- Shut off electricity and gas to the area. Never enter the water until power is shut off.
- If your basement has a drain you can safely reach, check if it is clogged. This may help expedite the draining.
- If you are able, remove any items that appear damaged by the water. Move them to a space where they can dry. Remove items from boxes so they can dry. Inspect all items and monitor for mildew growth.
- Get the air moving in the basement to dry it out. Open windows and doors. A dehumidifier will aid the drying process.
About SERVPRO of Dearborn & Dearborn Heights Southeast
SERVPRO® of Dearborn & Dearborn Heights SE provides 24-hour disaster mitigation service. We specialize in the restoration of homes and businesses suffering losses from fire and smoke, water, flood, wind, and storm damage. Our locally owned and operated 24/7 response team is always just a phone call away. 313-359-3457