Dearborn homes often experience sewer back ups. Sewage in your home isn’t just gross it is potentially dangerous. It contains bacteria and viruses, many of which can cause disease. Many people underestimate the seriousness of these hazards. Those especially at risk of exposure are the very young, elderly, and anyone with a compromised immune system or respiratory problems.
Some important facts to remember if you encounter a sewage back up:
- Sewage contains a variety of disease causing pathogens including bacteria, viruses and parasites.
- It is not safe to stay in a building flooded unless the contaminated area can be completely sealed off and airflow controlled to prevent particles from spreading.
- Sewage exposure is particularly dangerous for people with weakened immune systems, including anyone less two or greater than sixty years of age, pregnant, ill, recovering from surgery, on certain medications or chemotherapy.
- Highly absorbent materials, such as carpet and its padding, upholstery, wicker, paper or fabrics that can't be washed in hot water for at least 10 minutes, should be properly disposed.
- Sewage saturated building materials like drywall and insulation most also be removed.
There is a high degree of risk when working with sewage. Special precautions must be taken when handling damaged materials and while cleaning. Let the professionally trained and equipped crews at SERVPRO of Dearborn dry and sanitize your home or office. In addition to equipment, skills and training, our crew is up to date on vaccinations including Hepatitis B, which is often spread in sewage. Do not risk your health or that of a loved one. Call us to help. We are always available.
About SERVPRO of Dearborn
SERVPRO® of Dearborn provides 24-hour disaster mitigation and cleanup service to Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Melvindale and the greater Metro Detroit area. We specialize in the restoration of homes and businesses suffering losses from fire, water, soot, smoke, biohazard and storm damage. Our locally owned and operated 24/7 response team is just a phone call away. 313-359-3457