Summer is in full swing which means time at the pool. Dearborn Heights Fire Chief Dave Brogan's office provided some tips for keeping you and your guests safe around the pool.
- Secure pool area with a 4 foot high barrier including a self closing and self latching gate.
- Keep a cover on the pool when not in use.
- Consider installing a pool alarm.
- Supervise kids at all times
- Designate a person to watch the water when people are in the pool.
- Never swim alone.
- Inexperinced swimmers should wear U.S. Coast Guard approved life jackets.
- Establish and enforce safety policies in the pool area.
- Add chemicals to water; never add water to chemicals.
- Use proper safety gear including goggles and gloves when handling chemicals.
- Store chemicals in a well ventilated area.
- Do not store flammable materils near gas powered equipment.
Everyone in a home with a pool should know how to respond to a emergency including:
- How to use safety equipment
- Succesfully complete water safety training courses
- First aid
- CPR courses from the Red Cross
Have a safe and fantastic summer!